Individual Property Owners/Small Landlords
- We are a small volume law practice. Each case is important to us. We don't file hundreds of cases at once. I worked in that type of landlord/tenant practice for several years before going out on my own and while it works well for large corporate landlords, it doesn't work for small or individual landlords. Unlike large corporate landlords, small landlords need individualized solutions. Each tenant who stops paying makes a serious impact on the bottom line, so it isn't just about getting your case into court, but getting it resolved in a way that works for you and gets you back into positive cash flow as quickly as possible. If the tenant is staying, it also involves managing the relationship with the tenant and setting new expectations for the tenant so they are aware they must now pay rent on time and in full.
- We take a pro-active approach, so all those nagging concerns you may have about any paperwork you didn't submit or any concerns you have can be resolved up front and we can put together the best possible case for you to move forward in getting rent or possession of your property.
- If you come to us before you rent your home, basement apartment, or rerent a unit, we can assist with lease preparation, advise on tenant selection criteria, and will prepare and file DCRA paperwork for you or advise you on how to do so.
- We provide assistance with making sure your licensing and registration requirements are met before we start a case so that you are not delayed by having to start over months later.
- We do site visits and property walk-throughs so you can be ready for inspections and prepare documentation for future court cases, if needed.
- If you do not live in the area or are trying to get possession of your primary residence so you can return to the area, we work with you to minimize the number of times you need to appear in court and work with you by phone, email, and secure online communication instead of forcing you to come to the area.
- We are available outside of normal business hours to discuss your case or visit properties because we know you have a job and a life.